Friday, March 15, 2013

Garlickin' Good

Guys, this recipe needs no introduction. What it does need is a few warnings and words of advice. Caution #1: THIS STUFF IS GOOOOOOD. Simple, but addicting. It will make you do crazy things like eat your pizza crust first in order to enjoy as much of it as you can, as quickly as you can. I made this for the previously mentioned pizza Tuesday, daydreaming of the little hockey puck sized discs of the garlic dipping sauce they sell at Pizza Pizza. So I started trying to find copycat recipes, only to leave Google unsatisfied. (Say WHAT? I know, I didn't think it was possible either.) The only thing to do was take matters into my own hands. By matters, I do mean a palmful of garlic cloves.

My dipping sauce dedication paid off in creamy, peppery, garlicky dividends of goodness. Plus, my recipe even has greek yogurt in it so you can pretend it's healthy. Or something. Caution #2: In case you couldn't guess already, this dip is majorly garlicky. The kind of garlicky you feel on the roof of your mouth when you're finished. You may even have it the next morning if you're not careful. So if you're not fond of garlic, shuffle back to your ranch dressing and get off my blog. (Just kidding!) As for me, I'm going to hang out in a corner alone with my bad breath, my breadsticks and a bucket of this dip. That's my idea of a good Friday night.

Roasted Garlic Dip

Makes about 3/4 cup dip

 

Ingredients

4-6 cloves roasted garlic*
2 heaping tbsp, mayonnaise or mayonnaise style dressing
2 heaping tbsp, greek yogurt
1 - 2 tsp onion powder
Salt & Pepper


Olive oil (optional)

1. Cut your roasted garlic cloves in half, and then remove the little green root inside, if there is one.


 2. Chop up the roasted garlic until it's fine. Finer than Tom Hardy. (Just TRY.)  


3. With the flat of the knife or a fork, mash the garlic into a fine paste. I seasoned it with salt here, but it's just as easy to do all the seasoning at the end. 


4. Scrape the garlic into the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk. For a smoother texture, add a drizzle of olive oil.**

 

5. Then eat with pizza! Or crackers. Or chips. Or spread it on a sandwich... Run wild with this, and when you do, let me know where you go... I probably want to go there too.

Notes
* Don't have 45 minutes to roast garlic? Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Take the individual cloves, unpeeled and toss them in a touch of olive oil, put on a cookie sheet. Roast for 12-15 minutes, shaking the garlic every five minutes so it doesn't burn or brown too much. Let cool for five minutes, then peel. You're ready to rock.

** I don't have a food processor, so this dip is rustic style. If you want a smoother texture, toss all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend it up! I know this because Tyler knows this.

No comments:

Post a Comment